Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Things Kids Say

Today at work, this family came up to the register. The mother: fairly happy or at least content. The father: looking a little bored and anxious to leave. The little boy: gloomy, looked like he had a rough day. As they approached, I stood there and said, "Hey buddy, how are you?" to the little boy of about 4 or 5 years old. He looks at me with eyes filled with some sort of frustration or maybe even anger. His dad responds with, "He didn't have a good day at the doctor's yesterday." My response, "Oh, I'm sorry buddy, but don't worry sometimes doctors are nice!" He looked at me and said, "No. They're mean." Not really sure what to say I told the little boy that I had to go to the doctors on Monday and that I hoped they wouldn't be mean to me. His eyes widened as wide as I imagine they could as he replied, "Don't go! They'll be mean. They'll hurt you!" I looked at him and said, "Oh, I hope they don't hurt me!" He looked at me with cautioning eyes, got closer to the counter and said, "Oh, no. They'll hurt you." As I looked at him with sympathy and experiencing a lack of words, he leaned in even closer, with the straightest of face and said sternly, "Run."

Hahaha this little kid was so cute and funny! I wanted to laugh so hard but I knew that he was nothing but serious. Oh how I love what little children say.  

No comments:

Post a Comment